Federal Work-Study

If you were awarded Federal Work-Study (FWS) in your financial aid package, you may apply for a FWS job on campus.


  • Federal Work Study (FWS) positions are only available to you if you have been awarded and accepted FWS aid in your financial aid award package.
  • The FWS program enables students with financial need to work a part-time job in departments on campus, earning money that helps pay for education and living expenses while enrolled at UNC Charlotte.  
  • Learn more about eligibility, applying, and awards for the FWS program.


  1. Watch for an email prior to the start of the fall semester. The email will provide many details about how to apply for jobs, documents needed prior to working, and FWS orientation.
  2. Apply for jobs in Hire-a-Niner. You will need an approved resume in order to apply.  (Please allow 2-3 days processing time after you accept your FWS for the aid before you apply for a job.)
  3. Interview and accept a job. This process will give you valuable experience for when you interview for future career positions. Accept the job that best fits you and your skills, or experience you wish to gain. 
  4. View your next steps after accepting a job.


If you have made arrangements to keep the same position, in the same department, follow these steps for reappointment:

  1. Pick up your reappointment form at the front desk of the Financial Aid office in Reese (1st floor), Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm.
  2. Complete the top section of the form.
  3. Drop off the completed form to the department that is hiring you.
  4. The department will complete section 2 and return the form back to the Student Employment Office in King 222.

If you want to keep your work-study aid, but want to find a different job on campus, follow these steps:

  • Apply for a new job in Hire-a-Niner. You will need an approved resume in order to apply.
  • Interview and accept a job. If you are selected to be interviewed, the hiring department will contact you directly. 
  • Attending orientation is only required once. If you have previously attended, you do not have to do the online orientation.

If you complete the steps above, you may start working on the first day of classes.

pay rates / maximum hours / time sheets

  • The hourly rate earned will be at least minimum wage; however, you may earn more, depending on the type of work and skills required for the position. 
  • The exact amount of work-study earned depends upon the hours actually worked and the pay rate per hour. The rate of pay varies depending on the department and the student’s experience level.  
  • Students are awarded an average of $3,000 for the academic year.  Total federal work-study earnings for the academic year cannot exceed the annual award amount. 
  • Money is earned as you work throughout the semester, so you will not have the money “up front” in the beginning of the semester to pay your student account bill.  
  • Maximum of 20 hours per week (during regular class sessions). This maximum includes other student worker jobs on campus. Most students work 7-10 hours per week total.
  • You will complete weekly time sheets to keep track of your hours worked, and you will be paid monthly, either by direct deposit or by check.

Documentation needed for working on campus 

  • View this complete list of acceptable I-9 documents.
  • You must bring the original document(s) for identification and/or employment authorization.  The university cannot accept copied, faxed or e-mailed copies of documents.
  • Examples:
    • If you have an unexpired US Passport or a Permanent Resident Card, you only need this document. 
    • If you do not have either of these documents, you will need to bring both: an unexpired government issued photo ID (i.e. Student ID, Drivers License, or Military ID) and an employment authorization document (i.e. Social Security Card or Birth Certificate)